It has been hard to find the time to catch up on the four days I still needed to post to the blog and now on August 24th I’m finally getting to the Epilogue.
Actually it was good that it took me a while to catch up on the blog posts. I think I was able to recall the experience with more clarity and appreciate the entire experience much better.
Some of the thoughts that have come to mind…
- 7780 miles with no mishaps – no crashes or silly tip-overs
- No break downs (except for the battery)
- Only used one quart of oil
- On the road for 28 days – of that 21 days were travel days
- Visited 23 states – some of them twice
- Amazingly almost no rain – a few sprinkles on a couple of days and 30 minutes of real rain one day
- Not sure how many national and state parks and forests were visited
- Stayed at eight Holiday Inn Express’, seven Marriott Courtyards and eight other assorted places, plus Russ and Debbi’s and Ryan’s.
- Who knows how many McDonald’s I ate at or how much coffee I drank.
By in large everyone I ran into was friendly, interesting and hospitable - the exception of Mr Macho (who, someone pointed out to me, was probably afraid I’d ask if I could tag along with him and his buddy).
Would do it again? In a heart beat! But I do some things different. I would travel fewer miles per day and allow more time to spend at National Parks and sights. There is so much to see in the U.S. that it is a shame to have to pass it by because you know you need to make a certain number of miles.
A few minor regrets – I didn’t have time to go to; Oatman, AZ, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite Valley Floor or Bear Tooth Pass in Montana.
I hope you enjoyed reading about the Big Trip and seeing some pictures of what I saw along the way. It was fun sharing.
Time to start thinking about the next Big Trip